Saturday, October 24, 2015

How did I discover the 4 Catholic Churches in Beijing?

According to my research, there are 4 Catholic Churches in BEIJING; The EAST, WEST, SOUTH, and WEST CATHEDRALS.

Actually, I had an extremely difficult time in finding the 4 Catholic Churches in Beijing because of the lack of information from the internet and even from the people in Beijing. 

I utilized my "explorer's sense" to locate these 4 Churches. Considering that it was winter season when I had the luxury of time to roam around, the extreme cold and also the language barrier (Most of the locals cannot understand English. On the other hand, I can only understand few Mandarin words) added to the challenging journey. But due to my persistence, I found all of them!!!

It was an exhilarating feeling every time I discovered the churches one by one....all by myself!!!


1. EAST CATHEDRAL

The first Catholic church that I visited is the EAST CATHEDRAL or ST. JOSEPH CATHOLIC CHURCH along WANGFUJING ST. It is the second oldest catholic church in BEIJING. It is also called WANGFUJING CHURCH because of its location.

It can be reached by taking the Subway Line 1 or Subway Line 5. 


For Subway Line 1, get off at WANGFUJING STATION, then exit at C2. Take a long walk heading north along WANGFUJING ST.

For Subway Line 5, get off at DENSHIKOU STATION, then walk along CYPRESS HUTONG for about 300 meters.

Mass in English is being held JUST once a week, every 4 of Sunday afternoon.

Eastern Cathedral or Wangfujing Church

2. SOUTH CATHEDRAL

The second church that I visited is the SOUTH CATHEDRAL OF CATHOLIC, which is considered the oldest Catholic Church in BEIJING. 

It is also called XUANWUMEN CHURCH. It is conveniently located close to the XUANWUMEN SUBWAY STATION especially at GATE B1 or B2. (XUANWUMEN SUBWAY STATION is the intersection or transfer station of LINE 2 and LINE 4).


Mass in English is being held every Sunday only. One in the morning at 10:30 and another in the afternoon at 3pm.

Southern Cathedral or Xuanwumen Church
3. NORTH CATHEDRAL

It is interesting to note that I reached this Church, the third Catholic Church that I visited in BEIJING, on the exact day that I turned 3 months of stay in CHINA. The NORTH CATHEDRAL is the biggest Catholic Church in Beijing. It is also called XISHIKU CHURCH because of its location. It is situated along Xishiku St., at Xicheng District.

The fastest and most convenient way to reach the Church is by SUBWAY TRAIN. Take the SUBWAY line 4, then alight at XISI station then head south along XISINANLU then turn left at XIAMEN DAJIE, then turn left again at XISHIKU st. 


North Cathedral or Xishiku Church

4. WESTERN CHURCH

The WESTERN CHURCH is the youngest of the 4 Catholic Churches in BEIJING. It is located XIZHIMENNEINAN DAJIE that why it is called "XIZHIMEN CHURCH"

To reach the Church, take the SUBWAY LINE 4 then get off at XINJIEKOU and exit at D.


Western Cathedral or Xizhimen Street

THANKS GOD for the guidance and protection throughout my JOURNEY in finding HIS 4 "HOMES" in BEIJING...

GOD BLESS MY JOURNEY IN BEIJING...

No comments:

Post a Comment