Saturday, July 4, 2015

Liliw and Nagcarlan: The "Tsinelas" Capital and the Underground Cemetery

Another refreshing journey. 

My first time to these wonderful destinations...

LILIW and NAGCARLAN, 
adjacent towns in the province of LAGUNA.

I have to personally discover why these two municipalities have distinct significance for our country. 

According to my research, LILIW got its name from a beautiful bird who sang "LIW, LIW, LIW" while NAGCARLAN came from the name of a rich and generous woman "NANANG CLARA".

My JOURNEY started at DIVERSION ROAD in LUCENA CITY. I took the JEEPNEY bound for LUCBAN for about an hour travel passing TAYABAS CITY for 30 pesos fare, 
then from LUCBAN, I took another JEEPNEY bound for MAJAYJAY for 21 pesos fare for also an hour travel, 
then from MAJAYJAY, I took another JEEPNEY bound for NAGCARLAN but alighted at LILIW for 13 pesos fare.

I explored the town proper of LILIW including the church, then I took my lunch at ARABELA RESTAURANT, and finally explored GAT TAYAW ST. where the FOOTWEAR STORES are located.

Then continued my JOURNEY by taking JEEPNEY at LILIW bound for NAGCARLAN for 8 pesos fare.

Let me tell the story in details using the pictures that I took along the way...

Please scan the pages of another worthwhile JOURNEY...

...this is a refreshing view along the way
from LUCBAN (QUEZON) to MAJAYJAY (LAGUNA)...




...my first destination in the municipality of LILIW
is the LILIW CHURCH...

...this is the majestic LILIW CHURCH right at the heart
of the town proper...

...the remarkable towering LILIW CHURCH...

...the captivating view infront of the LILIW CHURCH...


...after exploring the LILIW CHURCH, my next destination was the GAT TAYAW ST. where STORES selling SHOES, SANDALS and SLIPPERS are located...

...the gigantic replica of slipper at the heart of the town signifying that LILIW is the "TSINELAS CAPITAL OF THE PHILIPPINES"...

...since it was almost 12 noon, I stopped my exploration and had my lunch at ARABELA RESTAURANT located along RIZAL ST. in the town proper of LILIW...
...I ordered CHICKEN...KOREAN style...
...consumed everything after several minutes...
...since it was noon time, the restaurant was full of customers...
...aside from nice ambiance, one of the unique features of the restaurants is its amazing LOW CEILING that I have to bend my head a little...
...after lunch, I continued my exploration along GAT TAYAW ST. especially at the stores selling shoes, sandals and slippers...
...some of FOOTWEAR stores in LILIW...
...after an hour of exploration, I headed to the JEEPNEY TERMINAL bound for NAGCARLAN,,,
...the travel time from LILIW to NAGCARLAN was just about 15 minutes for 8 pesos fare...my first destination in NAGCARLAN is the CHURCH...



,,,explored the surroundings of the NAGCARLAN CHURCH...
...the majestic facade of the NAGCARLAN CHURCH...
...the solemn NAGCARLAN CHURCH...
...the NAGCARLAN PUBLIC MARKET  just across the street where the NAGCARLAN CHURCH is located...
...the RIZAL PARK just beside the NAGCARLAN CHURCH...
...then I headed for the NAGCARLAN UNDERGROUND CEMETERY, along the way I spotted another CHURCH...
...another interesting sight along the way, piles of FIREWOOD, along the road going to the UNDERGROUND CEMETERY...
...after walking for about 10 minutes, I finally reached NAGCARLAN UNDERGROUND CEMETERY...
...the one of its kind in the country, the only NAGCARLAN UNDERGROUND CEMETERY...
...signages at the gate of the UNDERGROUND CEMETERY...
...unfortunately, it is prohibited to post pictures taken inside the NAGCARLAN UNDERGROUND CEMETERY...
...while I was walking inside the compound of the UNDERGROUND CEMETERY, the rain suddenly poured that prevent me from further exploration of the place...
Since the rain was continuously pouring that prevented me to explore NAGCARLAN more, I decided to take the JEEPNEY bound for SAN PABLO CITY. The trip passed-by the town proper of RIZAL, another town of LAGUNA situated in between NAGCARLAN and SAN PABLO CITY. I wanted to alight at RIZAL to visit the church but the heavy rain prevented me to do so. So I alighted at SAN PABLO CITY. Then I took an air-conditined bus going to LUCENA CITY for 83 pesos fare for about an hour comfortable trip passing the municipalities of TIAONG, CANDELARIA, SARIAYA and a portion of TAYABAS CITY then safely and contently arriving at DIVERSION ROAD in LUCENA CITY, the place where I started my long but remarkable JOURNEY. I finally visited the towns of LILIW and NAGCARLAN for the first time and had a glimpse of the town of RIZAL. 

LILIW and NAGCARLAN are significant places because of its distinct identities. 

LILIW is the TSINELAS CAPITAL OF THE PHILIPPINES and THE FOOTWEAR CAPITAL OF LAGUNA.

NAGCARLAN is the home of the ONLY UNDERGROUND CEMETERY in the PHILIPPINES. 

I will certainly take the same JOURNEY in the near future and will spend more time to buy shoes, sandals or slippers at LILIW then try some food at NAGCARLAN. I had seen some restaurants in NAGCARLAN and also in LILIW.

How about you? Have you been to LILIW and NAGCARLAN in LAGUNA?


No comments:

Post a Comment