Saturday, July 11, 2015

Sta. Cruz, Pila, and Pagsanjan: The Capital, The Heritage Houses, and The Tourist Capital


It was weekend once again. Time for another JOURNEY.

I started this particular trip at SOUTH STATION TERMINAL in ALABANG, MUNTINLUPA CITY. The terminal has buses bound for the different parts of LAGUNA, BATANGAS, CAVITE and QUEZON PROVINCE.

I boarded the bus bound for STA. CRUZ, the capital town of LAGUNA. The bus passed by the whole stretch of SOUTH LUZON EXPRESSWAY (SLEX) then took the exit at CALAMBA CITY, one of the 6 cities of LAGUNA, then passed by the municipalities of LOS BANOS, VICTORIA, PILA...finally my destination, the capital town of STA. CRUZ. 

During the travel, I came to discover that there is a Barangay "MAAHAS" in LOS BANOS. "MAAHAS" means lots of snakes. Is the place really has many snakes? There is also a Barangay "DILA" in the town of BAY. "DILA" means TONGUE. Does it mean that people in the place are talkative? But what especially caught my attention during that travel were the beautiful OLD HOUSES and STRUCTURES in the town proper of PILA. I decided that I would to go back to PILA after exploring STA. CRUZ. Places and things that kept me awake and alive during the whole trip and did not notice that I was already in STA. CRUZ.

I alighted at the intersecting road at STA. CRUZ infront of the JEEPNEY TERMINAL bound for LUCBAN. Absolutely I would be looking for this terminal after exploring some parts of LAGUNA. The travel time from ALABANG to STA.CRUZ was approximately 2 hours for 102 pesos fare in an airconditioned bus. 
...STA. CRUZ, LAGUNA is 88 kilometers south of MANILA. The location of this marker is infront of the JEEPNEY terminal bound for LUCBAN,...

Then I boarded another JEEPNEY going to the town proper of STA. CRUZ for about 15 minutes travel time and 8 pesos fare.

STA. CRUZ is famous for KESONG PUTI. It is a white cheese made from unskimmed carabao's milk. The KESONG PUTI FESTIVAL is celebrated every year during the month of April.

According to my research, there was no particular popular tourist destination within the town. But being the capital town is enough reason for me to discover more about the place. I wanted to personally find out and feel the place why it is the capital town, why not the 6 cities of LAGUNA.

As usual, I first visited the church right at the town proper of STA. CRUZ.


...the IMMACULATE CONCEPTION PARISH at the town proper of STA.CRUZ...
...there was no scheduled MASS during my visit because it was Saturday morning...
...the STA. CRUZ CHURCH marker...
...the sight of the CHURCH at another angle while I was strolling in the town proper of STA. CRUZ...
...I like this signage posted at the town proper of STA. CRUZ...it encapsulates various reminders for irresponsible people...
I also visited the STA. CRUZ town plaza...


the RIZAL monument infront of the town plaza...

...I like this billboard, reminding young generations of the traditional "MANO PO" at "OPO"...

...the PROVINCIAL CAPITOL of LAGUNA is located at the town proper of STA. CRUZ 
 After exploring the town proper of STA. CRUZ, I discovered that it is already highly urbanized with numerous commercial establishments and busy streets. Soon, it will become a city. 

Afterwards, I boarded a JEEPNEY bound for PILA, the town adjacent to the north of STA. CRUZ. The travel time was about 20 minutes for 18 pesos fare. Upon reaching the town proper, I first visited the CHURCH, the second church I visited for the day.




The facade of the church in PILA...the church was closed during my visit...

But what fascinated me to come back to PILA after passing by while on my way to STA, CRUZ were the amazing old houses and structures. 

...the RIZAL MONUMENT with the PILA MUNICIPAL HALLat the background. It is just within the vicinity near the church and old houses and structures in the town proper...
...the old houses and structures utilized as facades for popular convenience stores in the town of PILA...one of its kind in LAGUNA...
...another house, one of the many old structures in the town of PILA...
...I spotted a nice looking restaurant, but it was still closed when I passed by while exploring the  town proper. 
...after several minutes of just walking from the location of the church and municipal hall, I reached the PILA PUBLIC MARKET where I satisfied my thirst and hunger with 2 big glasses of pure buko juice...

Afterwards, I boarded a jeep bound for STA. CRUZ for 17 pesos fare for about 20 minutes travel time.


But upon reaching the TERMINAL for JEEPNEY bound for LUCBAN, I decided to visit the nearby town proper of PAGSANJAN since it was still too early for me to proceed to LUCBAN, my next destination prior to my final destination for the day, LUCENA CITY. 

I read some blogs and reviews that there are good restaurants located in the town proper of PAGSANJAN. The town proper of PAGSANJAN is 3 kilometers away from STA, CRUZ for 10 pesos fare in a JEEPNEY for 5 minutes travel time.

The boundary between STA. CRUZ and PAGSANJAN is located just a walking distance from the bus terminals bound for CUBAO and TAFT AVENUE. It is also near the various JEEPNEY and AIRCONDITIONED VANS terminals bound for the following places: SINILOAN, CAVINTI, PAKIL, PANGIL, MAGDALENA, PAETE, LUMBAN, PILA, LOS BANOS, FAMY, BAY, VICTORIA, LILIW, NAGCARLAN, SAN PABLO CITY and CALAMBA CITY (all parts of LAGUNA). There are also terminals for JEEPNEY bound for LUCENA CITY, TAYABAS CITY, LUCBAN and LIPA CITY.  

PAGSANJAN is the TOURIST CAPITAL of LAGUNA and the HOME of the BANGKERO FESTIVAL happening every year during the month of MARCH. PAGSANJAN has a GRAND CENTRAL TERMINAL for buses, air-conditioned vans and jeepneys infront of its beautiful public market. There are already several malls in PAGSANJAN.


...the famous structure before reaching the town proper, the PAGSANJAN TOWN ARCH...



As usual, I visited first the CHURCH of PAGSANJAN. The third church that I visited for the day.



There was a wedding rite being conducted inside the church when I was about to enter. I thanked the LORD for always providing me a SAFE JOURNEY...


The town proper of PAGSANJAN is 91 kilometers south of MANILA...

 

The town proper of PAGSANJAN is 2.5 kilometers from LUMBAN and 8 kilometers from CAVINTI...


...located near the town proper is this bridge across the PAGSANJAN RIVER...



...the refreshing sight of the PAGSANJAN RIVER...


...flag hoisted in the middle of the street at PAGSANJAN town proper...

Then I visited the town plaza of PAGSANJAN just a walking distance from the church and across the municipal hall...


The RIZAL MONUMENT at the town plaza...



VETERANS marker at the town plaza...



The spectacular roof of the stage at the town plaza...


...the view of the PAGSANJAN MUNICIPAL HALL...

...there are numerous restaurants with fascinating designs at the PAGSANJAN town proper...


Then this signage of a restaurant caught my attention...TERIMA KASIH means THANK YOU in BAHASA...I just completed the BAHASA INDONESIAN BASIC LANGUAGE last month...


A closer look at the restaurant...it has a good ambiance as if you are in your own home...I forgot to take any picture inside the restaurant because of the fast service.


Unfortunately, the MALAYSIAN or INDONESIAN food that I wanted to order was not available during that time so I just ordered Filipino Food...I was slightly disappointed because I was excited to taste MALAYSIAN AND INDONESIAN FOOD again (I was in Malaysia for 19 days last year for a schooling) and this year, I was able to taste Indonesian Food during the opening of the Bahasa Course at the INDONESIAN EMBASSY in Makati City. 


I just ordered GRILLED LIEMPO for lunch...my first lunch at PAGSANJAN...


On my way out, I was able to take picture of the small nipa huts as part of the dining area of the restaurant. I just was not able to occupy one because they were full of customers when I arrived...


Afterwards, I headed back to STA. CRUZ to board a JEEPNEY bound for LUCBAN...I will surely come back at PAGSANJAN to try other restaurants and to finally visit PAGSANJAN FALLS...


The signage at the back of the PAGSANJAN TOWN ARCH...


The travel from STA. CRUZ to LUCBAN passed by the portion of town of CAVINTI, but not the town proper so I was not able to have at least a glimpse of it. But I will certainly come back and visit the town proper of CAVINTI.

Then after along and winding road, we passed by the town proper of LUISIANA. The town is called "LITTLE BAGUIO" because of the long zigzag road and exciting journey from CAVINTI to the town proper of LUISIANA with mountainous area on one side and ravines at the other side. LUISIANA has also cold climate and high elevation. One day, I will alight at the town proper and explore the different places in the town proper.


The refreshing travel from the town proper of LUISIANA to the town proper of LUCBAN reminded me to travel back home in BICOL. Soon I will be exploring my beautiful home province, CAMARINES and absolutely will share them with you. Have you heard about CARAMOAN, MT. ISAROG, LAKE BUHI, CWC among others? They are all located within my home province.


And finally, I reached the town of LUCBAN after an hour of travel for 45 pesos fare in a JEEPNEY trip from STA. CRUZ. traversing 2 provinces of LAGUNA and QUEZON PROVINCE... 

I again visited the LUCBAN CHURCH, the fourth church that I visited for the day.

Then I proceeded to the LUCBAN PUBLIC MARKET, the location of terminal of JEEPNEYS and AIR-CONDITIONED VANS bound for various destinations such as the 2 cities in QUEZON PROVINCE (LUCENA and TAYABAS) and the municipality of SAMPALOC also in Quezon Province and the municipalities of MAJAYJAY and STA. CRUZ in LAGUNA. 

I boarded an AIR-CONDITIONED VAN bound for SM LUCENA for 50 pesos fare for about an hour travel.


Next weekend, 
I will certainly visit NEW PLACES... 
to ENJOY LIFE, 
to DISCOVER new things, 
to WRITE another story, 
and to SHARE the PAGES 
of my JOURNEY in LIFE...

No comments:

Post a Comment