Sunday, July 12, 2015

MAUBAN: Home of the Maubanog Festival

It was another worthwhile Sunday. It was another first time for me.

It was my second time to visit the town of MAUBAN in QUEZON PROVINCE, but it was my first time to witness the MAUBANOG FESTIVAL. Although the town fiesta  will happen on the 15th of July, the festival is a one week festivity. Since I cannot visit MAUBAN on Wednesday, I traveled to the town proper during the weekend before the 15. 

My first visit in MAUBAN that happened during the early part of this year was a very short one. It was just purposely to inquire things about CAGBALETE ISLAND.

This second visit was longer and had explored more about MAUBAN, purposely for the MAUBANOG FESTIVAL and the town proper. CAGBALETE ISLAND will be explored during my next visit.

I started this JOURNEY at the main intersection of the DIVERSION ROAD in LUCENA CITY. It was heavily raining when I arrived at Diversion road. I was just strongly hoping and fervently wishing that it was not raining in the town proper of MAUBAN. Together with some passengers, we waited for the bus bound for MAUBAN to come at the BUS STOP infront of the JEEPNEY TERMINAL bound for LUCBAN and TAYABAS CITY. The bus bound for MAUBAN would be coming from the LUCENA CITY GRAND CENTRAL TERMINAL, which is situated about 2 kilometers south of the main intersection road at Diversion Road. During my first visit the bus at the said terminal. this time I would like to test my patience to wait for the bus to come and purposely to make a different story.

The main intersection at the diversion road in Lucena City is already booming with many establishments especially fast food chains and restaurants such as JOLLIBEE, CHOWKING, 7-11, GILIGAN'S, MINI-STOP, DUNKIN DONUTS and numerous burger stands. About 1 kilometer away, there are also TAPA KING, SHAKEY'S, CAFE JUNGLE among others. Developments that make traveling more convenient and enjoyable since there are already available food shops where you can have your meals or buy your "BAON" or "PASALUBONG" before traveling to the different interesting places in Quezon Province and Laguna. If you are bound for MANILA or BICOL, there are also numerous "PASALUBONG" CENTERS in the area where local products from QUEZON PROVINCE and LAGUNA are available. I am recommending YEMA CAKE, LONGGANISANG LUCBAN, "PINAGONG" SARIAYA and NILUPAK as best for pasalubong.

After almost 20 minutes of waiting, the ordinary bus arrived half-full of passengers. The other passengers were very excited that they could finally go home. They boarded the bus rushing and smiling. 

After few minutes, the conductor asked about my destination which I answered feeling excited "sa MAUBAN po", then he handed me a fare coupon worth 54 pesos. I also inquired from him, "Anong oras po ang last trip from MAUBAN to LUCENA?" then he answered, "5:30 po".

After another several minutes, I had seen this familiar signage again at the city proper of TAYABAS. But it was just my second time to go straight. My usual way was to go left either going to LUCBAN town proper, KAMAY NI HESUS SHRINE or KAMAYAN SA PALAISDAAN FLOATING RESTAURANT, part of TAYABAS. 

MAUBAN is situated just after TAYABAS CITY.



After several minutes again, a group of cyclists caught my attention and also to other passengers of the bus. I later found out that it was one of the activities lined-up for the MAUBANOG FESTIVAL.

Approaching the town proper of MAUBAN, a food vendor boarded the bus. He was selling "NILUPAK" for 5 pesos per piece. The main ingredient of "NILUPAK" is CASSAVA. I bought one piece since I was already hungry because it was almost noon time. It was perfectly delicious. I remember when I was still a kid, homemade NILUPAK was our usual merienda in Bicol.


It was again another wonderful trip. Fresh air, amazing view of trees, plants and clean surroundings. No pollution, no garbage, quiet environment and amazing blue skies. It was not raining along the way and I was certain that It was not also raining in MAUBAN town proper.


I just hope that EDSA and other roads in Metro Manila are as refreshing as this road between TAYABAS CITY and MAUBAN for the people in the big city to have a wonderful life.

Another familiar view in rural areas, planting rice. I used to do this when I was still in Bicol.

After 1 and a half hours of travel, this familiar signage finally welcomed us to the town proper of MAUBAN. Actually, one sari-sari store along the way has a beautiful and remarkable signage: "WALA PO KAMING TINDANG ALAK AT SIGARILYO". Unfotunately, I failed to capture the signage because it was too late when I noticed the signage. The bus was going too fast since there was no traffic jam all throughout the trip. But certainly, I will go back to that store to congratulate and reward the owner for doing the most noble act of not selling the harmful products. He or she is an ethical businessman.

Finally, the arch signalling that MAUBANOG FESTIVAL was presently happening. It was artistically crafted made out of raw materials found in MAUBAN. It was a clear indication that the festival is another show window for the locals about their creativity just like what I witnessed when I attended the "PAHIYAS FESTIVAL" in LUCBAN for several times.

MAUBANOG is a week-long festival to display the history, heritage, products and creativity of the people of MAUBAN.


Another arch designed for the festival. Every Barangay had created their own arch as entry to the contest. The winners would be crowned during the town fiesta on July 15. 



I alighted at the BUS TERMINAL beside the branch of a popular convenience store. It is a proof that the town is already progressive for attracting the leading convenience store to invest in the place. According to my research, MAUBAN is a first class municipality. I am certain that soon it will become a city.

As usual I headed towards the CHURCH of MAUBAN. I was amazed by wonderful design of the church. Very neat and adorable to look at.

The MARKER describes the evolution of the MAUBAN CHURCH...



Posted infront of the CHURCH are the scheduled activities during the week-long festivities....

A wedding rite was happening when I entered the church. I thanked the ALMIGHTY for providing me another safe JOURNEY during this particular weekend.


The artistic interior design of the MAUBAN CHURCH...


one of the busy streets at the MAUBAN TOWN PROPER...

The decorations along the streets are signs of the festivities...

This is the marker that unfolds the distance of the town proper of MAUBAN from MANILA...MAUBAN is 157 kilometers south of MANILA...



The signage uniting QUEZON, RIZAL and AURORA...this is situated at the heart of the town proper...

Before going to MAUBAN, I did some research. One of the main attractions at MAUBAN is the RIZAL HILL PARK. It is situated at the heart of the town proper.

It is also called KALBARYO HILL by the locals...


As I entered the compound of the park, excitement was all over my senses since this would be another place that I would be visiting for the first time..

As I was climbing the hill, it was as if I was travelling  to familiar roads such as in BICOL or BAGUIO with mountainous area on one side and ravine on the other...

Beautiful landscapes and clean environment added to the excitement and enjoyment as I continue to follow the cemented pathway...


There are benches situated along the way. Visitors can take a rest or just savor the place while relaxing in the benches. There are also signages of reminders to maintain discipline along the way such as "NO SMOKING", "BAWAL UMIHI" at "BAWAL MAGKALAT".


Then the stairs going up the pinnacle of the hill park unfolded after few minutes...

The sight of the RIZAL monument and refreshing skies more than compensated the short climb and the 10 pesos entrance fee at the park. The residence of MAUBAN are free of charge. They just have to register at the logbook provided at the entrance way...

The marker at the foot of the monument clearly explains the significance of the place...



While on top of the hill park, you can have the captivating view of the town proper, the ocean and as far as your eyes can grasp...


It was an exhilarating feeling to capture the totality of MAUBAN and nearby areas at all angles...

After visiting the RIZAL HILL PARK, I proceeded to the MAUBAN MUNICIPAL HALL...

The marker at the entrance of the MAUBAN MUNICIPAL HALL...

Posted at the wall of the MUNICIPAL HALL is the SEAL OF GOOD HOUSEKEEPING awarded by the then DILG SECRETARY JESSE  ROBREDO...

After visiting the MAUBAN MUNICIPAL HALL. I headed towards the shoreline of MAUBAN...
Along the way, I spotted another arch for the MAUBANOG FESTIVAL...

The GAT UBAN monument along the MAUBAN SEAWALL...

The beautiful view of the MAUBAN SEAWALL at another angle...

The marker at the foot of GAT UBAN monument...
The name MAUBAN came from GAT UBAN...


The MAUBAN SEAWALL is a refreshing place to have a glimpse of the shoreline that will bring you to the CAGBALETE ISLAND, the place that I have yet to visit and enjoy...

I had my lunch in a restaurant where I also had my lunch during my first visit...


After lunch, I boarded an air-conditioned van with terminal also situated within the town proper. It was another experiment and also to make another different story. The fare was 60 pesos, just 6 pesos higher cost than availing the ordinary bus. As I travel back to LUCENA CITY, the remarkable JOURNEY and the moments stayed at MAUBAN will be deeply embedded in my memories. 

As expected, it was a faster and comfortable ride at the air-conditioned van since I was able to fall asleep most of the time during the trip. After just one hour which is 30 minutes faster than my travel time availing the ordinary bus this morning, I alighted at the main intersection at the DIVERSION ROAD in LUCENA CITY to end the story of another worthwhile JOURNEY. Other passengers of the van were all intact expected to alight at SM LUCENA TERMINAL, the final destination of the said trip.


I will surely come back to this place soon. My third visit will certainly be a JOURNEY towards the paradise island of CAGBALETE... 

No comments:

Post a Comment