Saturday, August 8, 2015

Paete and Lumban: The Carving Capital and The Embroidery Capital of the Philippines

It was weekend once again, I went out of my COMFORT ZONE to CARVE another remarkable JOURNEY. The moments stayed would WEAVE unforgettable memories not only in my mind but PAINT the pictures of colorful emotions in my heart.

These places are important landmarks in the PHILIPPINE MAP. The town of PAETE is the CARVING CAPITAL OF THE PHILIPPINES while the municipality of LUMBAN is the EMBROIDERY CAPITAL OF THE PHILIPPINES. They are both located in the province of LAGUNA. They are approximately 4 kilometers apart with the small town of KALAYAAN in between them. I said small town because the town of KALAYAAN has only 3 Barangays. It was formerly known as LONGOS. Majority of the people even those from LAGUNA are not familiar with the place being renamed as KALAYAAN. The term "KALAYAAN" means FREEDOM in ENGLISH. 

This particular journey started in a bus station located at TAFT AVE. corner GIL PUYAT ave. in PASAY CITY. I boarded a bus bound for STA. CRUZ (the capital town of LAGUNA). The trip passed by the whole stretch of SLEX (South Luzon Expressway) then made an exit at CALAMBA CITY (part of LAGUNA), then passed by the towns of LOS BANOS, BAY, VICTORIA and PILA (all part of LAGUNA), then finally arrived at STA. CRUZ. The travel time is almost 2 hours for 105 pesos fare for an air-conditioned bus. I alighted at the STA. CRUZ town proper, then boarded a JEEPNEY bound for SINILOAN. The trip passed by the town of PAGSANJAN, LUMBAN and KALAYAAN. I alighted at the town proper of PAETE. There is already a branch of the most popular convenience store  in the Philippines. A sign that the town is already a high class municipality. I roamed around the town proper and visited some shops selling wood carvings. It was another captivating view for me. Seeing for the first time a place with bountiful of stores selling products made out of superb creativity, overflowing passion and gargantuan effort.

One of the stores that I visited in PAETE selling wood carvings of SANTA CLAUS.

One of the writings that attracted my attention...describing about the town of PAETE...

The LIFE and SHAPE in PAETE (ANG BUHAY AT HUGIS SA PAETE)...

Other stores located within PAETE town proper...


After buying some souvenirs items (KEYCHAINS and REF MAGNETS), I inquired about the location of the CATHOLIC CHURCH in PAETE. 

Then, after only 3 minutes walk, this old structure consumed my sight. This is the side view of the church. 

This is the majestic front view of the PAETE CHURCH.

The church marker infront of the PAETE CHURCH.


Inside the PAETE CHURCH, as usual I thanked the Almighty for another successful and safe JOURNEY reaching the town of PAETE for the first time.

The refreshing surroundings while I was strolling at the town proper of PAETE. The alluring view of the  SIERRA MADRE mountain range and clean environs brought indescribable  feeling of joy and fulfillment for another wonderful journey to a place for the first time.

After few minutes of exploration of the town proper, I headed to the JEEPNEY stop to proceed to my next destination. This is the view of the main street at the town proper where majority of  commercial establishments and wood carving stores are located. This is also the road connecting the towns of KALAYAAN and PAKIL. 

After several minutes, the mysterious view of the LUMBAN RIVER can be seen while traveling from PAETE to LUMBAN. The embroidery capital of the Philippines is my next destination.


My first destination at the town proper of LUMBAN is the location of the church. As I alighted from the tricycle from the highway, I had glimpse of the church. The location of the church and the municipal hall is not along the highway. You have to take a tricycle ride for 10 pesos fare to reach the town proper.

The captivating view of the LUMBAN MUNICIPAL HALL while I was walking towards the church.

Finally, another Catholic church that I visited for the first time. Another page in my BLESSED JOURNEY.

It was Saturday, the church was closed. I just prayed infront of the church thanking the Lord for this another wonderful day for me.

The church marker stated LUMBANG, the old name of LUMBAN. 


The monument of RIZAL infront of the LUMBAN MUNICIPAL HALL.

A marker beside the RIZAL MONUMENT stating the VISION and MISSION of LUMBAN.

Then, I explored the streets in the town proper. Nice and clean. Free from abandoned garbages, astray animals and illegally parked vehicles. There are numerous EMBROIDERY shops in the town proper selling ready to wear BARONG TAGALOG made of fine jusi and pinya.

As I headed towards my other destinations for that day, it was impressed upon me that these two particular towns of LAGUNA certainly deserved visits and promotion not only to promote the local tourism industry but to display the super creativity unfolded in WOOD CARVINGS and EMBROIDERED PRODUCTS especially "BARONG TAGALOG" (the NATIONAL COSTUME of the PHILIPPINES.

*How to go back to MANILA by public transport from LUMBAN or PAETE...

1. Ride a JEEPNEY bound for STA. CRUZ. Tell the driver that you are going to the BUS STATION bound for MANILA. 

2. There are BUSES bound for either  CUBAO, LRT (TAFT) AND ALABANG.

Wishing everyone a HAPPY TRIP and a BLESSED JOURNEY in LIFE.

No comments:

Post a Comment