Friday, August 21, 2015

San Jose and Lagonoy: Homeward Bound

SAN JOSE and LAGONOY are 2 adjacent municipalities in CAMARINES SUR. These towns are closely associated with each other because SAN JOSE is previously just a Barangay of LAGONOY then named "DANLOG". On 1816, it became a separate town.

LAGONOY has 2 origins where it got its name. One is, it came from a medicinal plant "HAGONOY", however since the spaniards cannot pronounce it properly they changed it to LAGONOY. Other origin came from word LANGO, which means "drunk" because men from the place drink too much TUBA (native wine).

On the other hand, SAN JOSE was established under the name PATROCINIO derived from PATRON which means "MODEL". Thus, the name of the town became PATROCINIO DE SAN JOSE, But later, the name was shortened to SAN JOSE.


SAN JOSE is about 492 kilometers south of Manila while LAGONOY is about 495 kilometers.


The following images are taken during my last journey back home. I would like to dedicate this photo essay to the residence of the municipalities of SAN JOSE and LAGONOY especially those who are away from "HOME".
The refreshing RICEFIELDS of CAMAGONG, the Barangay of SAN JOSE connecting the town to LAGONOY. RICE is the major agricultural product of SAN JOSE. Other products are coconut, vegetables, fruit bearing trees and root crops. At the background is the partly hidden MOUNT ISAROG, the highest mountain in CAMARINES SUR.
The majestic SAINT JOSEPH PARISH in SAN JOSE. The patron saint is ST. JOSEPH. There was an instant when the town Mayor of SAN JOSE has a surname of SAN JOSE. Making it a historic era when the name of the town, the Mayor and the Patron Saint are all "SAN JOSE".
My Alma Mater, SAN JOSE CENTRAL SCHOOL, where I had my GRADE 5 and GRADE 6. When I was in Grade 5, I was in Section "CAMAGONG", which is coincidentally the name of our Barangay. 
Old houses...nice view along the main road in the town proper of SAN JOSE.

The bridge connecting Barangay DEL CARMEN and Barangay Sta. Cruz in SAN JOSE. When I was still in elementary and high school, this bridge which had different structure then was a concrete witness to my JOURNEY everyday. I passed by this bridge 4 times a day because I had to go back during lunch time. Our home is about a kilometer away from the school. I walked at least 4 kilometers a day during school days for 6 years (from Grade 5 to 4th year high school). This bridge symbolizes my STRUGGLE and DETERMINATION to achieve something in LIFE. 

The bridge actually underwent a major transformation. It was still elevated during my school days and even when I was already in the military service. It became my reference point that our HOUSE was already near whenever I was traveling back home. There was an instance when I went home from Manila one day that I was not aware that it was already reconstructed to a flattened bridge. I was waiting for that sudden up the hill feeling in order to signal for the BUS to stop, but it didn't came until the bus reached its TERMINAL in LAGONOY. I was asking the conductor, "MAY BAGO NA BANG DAAN?" Then he replied, "WALA PO". So amid my amazement, I just avail a JEEPNEY bound back home.
The view of RICEFIELDS at CAMAGONG with the PUBLIC CEMETERY at the background. I have vivid memories because I experienced working in the ricefields from planting up to harvesting rice. The view of this cemetery is just normal for us because we saw it almost everyday and sometimes, we also passed by inside the cemetery to visit our grandfather and our small ricefield. We called place of our grandfather as "KANYOGAN" because of the presence of numerous coconut trees. But there were also other fruit bearing trees such as "LANGKA (JACK FRUIT), BAYABAS (GUAVA)" among others.
My ALMA MATER, then CAMAGONG COMMUNITY SCHOOL, now CAMAGONG ELEMENTARY SCHOOL where I had my GRADE 1 to GRADE 4. 
SABANG BEACH, the port where motorboats going to CARAMOAN are stationed, is part of the municipality of SAN JOSE. MALASUGUI FESTIVAL happens every last week of MAY at Barangay SABANG.
The BOUNDARY between the municipalities of SAN JOSE and LAGONOY.
The wonderful view along the road in LAGONOY. If SABANG BEACH in SAN JOSE is the gateway for travel by water, this road leads to the land travel towards CARAMOAN PENINSULA.
The road leading to the other coastal municipalities of PARTIDO DISTRICT (4TH DISTRICT) of CAMARINES SUR including CARAMOAN.
About 497 kilometers south of MANILA, part of LAGONOY. Wonderful view.
At LAGONOY BRIDGE with the MOUNT ISAROG at the background.
The captivating view of a river at LAGONOY with the partly hidden MT. ISAROG at the background...


The SAINTS PHILIP and JAMES THE APOSTLES PARISH in LAGONOY...
The RIZAL PARK in LAGONOY with the huge "BROOM" at the side.
SAMHOD FESTIVAL is celebrated during the first week of MAY in time for the town fiesta celebration. SAMHOD is the bicol term for 'WALIS-TAMBO" or "BROOM".

The LAGONOY municipal hall just infront of the RIZAL PARK.
"DIOS MABALOS PO" is the bicol term for "SALAMAT PO" or THANK YOU.

LAGONOY and SAN JOSE will always be important part of my existence wherever I go, whatever I will be or whoever I become in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment