Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Western Cathedral: The Youngest among the 4 Catholic Churches in Beijing

Before the year of 2015 bids goodbye, I finally found the WESTERN CHURCH, the youngest of the 4 Catholic Churches in BEIJING. It was established in 1723 and was restored in 1912.
I previously visited the other 3 Churches. 

It was a successful, complete, and BLESSED Journey for me in 2015. 

I already DISCOVERED THE 4 CATHOLIC CHURCHES in BEIJING!!!
inside the WESTERN CHURCH or XIZHIMEN CHURCH
It was actually really challenging to explore Beijing because of its considerable large area. BEIJING is 26 times compared to the total land area of the whole METRO MANILA. BEIJING is more than 16,000 square kilometers compared to METRO MANILA with about 600 square kilometers. It is even made more difficult because some of the signages in Beijing are written in CHINESE CHARACTERS. It is also a challenge to ask anyone along the way because majority of them do not understand English. And since it is winter, the freezing temperature is an additional burden. Today the temperature is NEGATIVE 8 degrees centigrade!!!
On my way to the bus stop, I spotted this river, the right portion is partly covered by SNOW...
After thorough research from the internet, I still couldn't really find the complete guide on how to go to WESTERN CHURCH. It is just stated in the different sources that the only available public transports are BUS and TAXI. There is no mentioned about any SUBWAY station. But as an explorer myself, I analyzed the available information. The other name of the CHURCH is XIZHIMEN. There are blogs mentioning that the location of the Church is along XIZHIMEN NEI DAJIE. Using the BEIJING map issued to us, I searched for any subway station and the road with such information. EUREKA! There is a XIZHIMEN Subway Station along LINE 4. Then the information on the net, the bus number 7, 27, 105 or 808 will pass by along the street where the church is located and should get off at XIKAI HUTONG bus stop. 

Prominent feature of the Western Church 
After breakfast, I proceeded to the nearest station to start my journey for today with the noble mission to visit the 4th Catholic Church in Beijing. After a while in the Subway train, I alighted at XIZHIMEN Subway Station, then I took bus Number 105 and got off at XIKAI HUTONG bus stop. While the bus was about to stop, I already spotted the Cross on top of the Church. Yes, I arrived at my glorious destination!!! But to my surprise, there is a nearby SUBWAY STATION about 50 meters  from the Church compound. It is the XINJIEKOU SUBWAY STATION. It is actually just one station away from where I alighted, Xizhimen. But I am still wondering until now why there is nothing in the internet that mentioned that information.
Christmas tree inside the compound of the Western Church
To make things clear, if you want to visit the WESTERN CHURCH in BEIJING, take the subway train at LINE 4, get off at XINJIEKOU SUBWAY STATION, then exit at D. Then walk west, after about 50 meters or less, you will find the WESTERN CHURCH or the XIZHIMEN CHURCH. The exact address of the Western Church is 130 Xizhimenmeinan Dajie, Xicheng District, Beijing.
The "MESSAGE WALL" inside the compound
of the Western Church
WESTERN CHURCH is the youngest and the smallest among the four Catholic Churches in Beijing. 
also located inside the compound

The beautiful facade of the WESTERN CHURCH. There was a wedding ceremony when I came.
Wedding ceremony is being held inside when I came

May the LORD BLESS our JOURNEY in LIFE ALWAYS...
inside the Western Church

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE...

This is PROBABLY my LAST BLOG for 2015...

No comments:

Post a Comment