Saturday, August 1, 2015

Candelaria and Sariaya: The Colorful Candle Festival and the Delicious "PINAGONG"

CANDELARIA and SARIAYA are adjacent municipalities in Quezon Province. The former is known for the CANDLE FESTIVAL while the latter is known for the delicious "PINAGONG" bread.

I have passed by maybe a hundred times already to these two towns because they are along the way during travels from MANILA to BICOL and vice versa. But I never had the chance to stroll or even step on the places.

It was one weekend when I scheduled a visit to the town proper of these two towns.

I first visited the town proper of CANDELARIA. It is situated in between TIAONG and SARIAYA (both municipalities of Quezon Province). The town is also adjacent to the town of SAN JUAN (BATANGAS). CANDELARIA is about 107 kilometers south of Manila or about 3 hours land travel time. CANDELARIA is a first class municipality and the number one producer of coconut products in the Quezon Province. The progressive town has already several popular chain of establishments such as JOLLIBEE, MCDO, CHOWKING, MANG INASAL, 7-11 convenience store among others. They are best stop-overs for those traveling from BICOL or from MANILA going to BICOL.

As usual, my feet brought me to the Catholic church at the town proper. 

Inside the catholic church in CANDELARIA church. I thanked the Almighty for another safe JOURNEY, not only at this very moment but during my entire LIFE. I also prayed to continue to lead me towards the right PATH.


Beside the church is this newly-built structure.

The marker infront of the newly-built structure. I have seen that there is an ongoing construction of additional buildings inside the compound. CANDLE FESTIVAL happens every 5th of FEBRUARY which is explains the large candles in the structure. CANDLE is also the origin of the name of the town.

I love the sight of these signages scattered but properly posted within the town proper of CANDELARIA. I like that it is written in "TAGALOG" for the people to easily understand and hopefully, they are also properly implemented by the LGU and local PNP units. These signages cost considerable resources from the government. The national laws and local ordinances should be followed by the residence and visitors.


After strolling within and around the compound of the church, I went to the CANDELARIA MUNICIPAL HALL which is located just across the main highway from the church.

Coincidentally during my visit, there were ongoing activities since the town will be celebrating is founding anniversary on August 5.


After my short exploration of the town proper of CANDELARIA, I boarded a JEEPNEY bound for SARIAYA. The jeepney fare was 18 pesos for a distance of about 11 kilometers. 


Along the way, I spotted this familiar signage in SARIAYA. The town is situated between CANDELARIA and TAYABAS CITY. SARIAYA is a first class municipality in Quezon Province. The town is known for the "PINAGONG" bread, pristine beach resorts, heritage houses and hiking activities towards Mount Banahaw. The town is about 118 kilometers south of Manila or 3 to 3 and a half hours land travel from Manila.


After several minutes of travel from CANDELARIA, I spotted another several signages announcing and promoting the presence of BEACH and POOL resorts in this part of SARIAYA.

Upon arrival at the town proper of SARIAYA, the view of this old house attracted my attention. It is refreshing to see the old houses still functioning until this very moment. 

A heritage house at the town proper of SARIAYA along the main highway. It certainly caught the attention of passers-by and will continue to attract attention.

I finally reached another precious destination, the catholic church at the town proper of SARIAYA.

The marker infront of the church unfolding several transformation of the sacred structure.

The main gate of the church along the main highway.

Infront of the church are some posters. AGAWAN FESTIVAL happened every year usually during the second week of MAY which culminates on the 15th of that month. I still have to witness that festival. It will be included in my MASTER SCHEDULE for next year.

Then I headed for RIZAL STREET still at the town proper of SARIAYA. I read somewhere that RIZAL STREET is the TAMALES CAPITAL in SARIAYA. The town is known for delicious TAMALES in Quezon province.

Along the way, I saw some old houses. But the tamales store was nowhere to be found. I believed that TAMALES were only available during the AGAWAN FESTIVAL  on May 15 or during SARIAYA town fiesta on September 14.

As I ended my exploration at the town proper of CANDELARIA and SARIAYA, I have new discoveries that will renew my perspectives about these beautiful towns. There are still many things to uncover. I have known that there are good restaurants in CANDELARIA and there are numerous resorts in SARIAYA. There is also an exciting JOURNEY to be made from SARIAYA towards MOUNT BANAHAW. I need to taste the CRISPY PATA of CANDELARIA and the TAMALES of SARIAYA. Future adventures that will be done soon. 

PINAGONG bread of SARIAYA... "PAGONG" means TURTLE in English. The shape of the bread explains the name. Don't forget to bring some for "PASALUBONG".

I am excited for my next BACKPACKER'S ADVENTURE...
JOURNEYS that continuously enrich my LIFE and broaden my horizons about many things...



No comments:

Post a Comment