Friday, August 21, 2015

Why I Considered My Journey to Caramoan a Glimpse of Heaven on Earth?

It was a historic day for me...it was my first time to visit CARAMOAN PENINSULA...unbelievable but true!

CARAMOAN is one of the 35 municipalities of CAMARINES SUR. It is within the same district with the municipalities of GOA and SAN JOSE, the 4TH DISTRICT of CAMARINES SUR called "PARTIDO". 

GOA is my birthplace while SAN JOSE is where I grew up and took up my ELEMENTARY and SECONDARY EDUCATION.

There was no reason for me to visit CARAMOAN during my younger days. Aside from the challenging journey to reach the place, the only way is by motorboat for about 2 to 3 hours travel and the fare was also very costly. But today, there are numerous reasons to visit Caramoan with additional consideration that it is already accessible by land travel. CARAMOAN islands are famous for the fine white sand and alluring rock formations. The islands became the location of various local and international events including "SURVIVOR".

This day is something special. It was Thursday, August 20, 2015 when I had one of the biggest breaks. It was a day after attending a beauty pageant being invited as the Chairman of the Board of Judges. From WITNESSING the beautiful CANDIDATES last night to WITNESSING the beautiful ISLANDS of CARAMOAN for the day. Is there anyone luckier than me?

It was almost 6am when we arrived at SABANG BEACH. Sabang is one of the Barangays of SAN JOSE.  It was just in time for the first trip for the motor boat to CARAMOAN. The fare is 120 pesos per person.

This is the MOTORBOAT that transported me to CARAMOAN. The witness during my first JOURNEY to CARAMOAN. We were only about 10 passengers during that time. It's OFF SEASON and TYPHOON INENG was impending to hit LUZON.

After about 30 minutes of travel time, the majestic view of AGUIRANGAN ISLAND appeared. AGUIRANGAN is a small island almost midway going to CARAMOAN. I already visited this island when I was still a kid. 

After another 15 minutes, we passed by the left side of the AGUIRANGAN island. The place is already developed and ready for tourists. There are already cottages available for the guests. (another blog will be allotted for AGUIRANGAN ISLAND)

It was a gloomy day because of the typhoon "INENG". I was just lucky because the storm did not directly hit BICOL REGION. The water was still calm during our travel. On a clear sunny day, the view of the majestic MAYON VOLCANO is an added attraction while traveling from SABANG to CARAMOAN, according to the accounts of my cousins and friends who visited CARAMOAN many times. But today, the sky was full of clouds that completely eliminated the picture of MAYON VOLCANO.

The majestic view of beautiful rock formations and captivating islands can be enjoyed along the way. There were small hills like the chocolate hills of BOHOL. The view fully compensated for the absence of the view of the MAYON VOLCANO. The captivating view along the way is a fitting preview of how beautiful our destination is. It will certainly awaken even the senses of tired travelers. It will essentially heal the wounded feelings. It will significantly provide relaxation to the weary souls.

After several minutes again, our destination was already on sight. The shoreline of CARAMOAN is slowly approaching. The GATEWAY to HEAVEN on EARTH is waiting.

It was after almost 2 hours of remarkable JOURNEY when we reached my wonderful DESTINATION. You cannot even notice that 2 hours had elapsed since the beautiful scenes along the way will consume your full attention that 120 minutes are not enough to totally grasp and fully digest the unfolding of amazing natural wonders.

There were plenty of passenger motorboats in the port of CARAMOAN. During SUMMER VACATION, these motorboats are all busy bringing back and forth the passengers from and to SABANG BEACH. I witnessed those scenarios several times already while we were enjoying the waters of SABANG, there were long queues of people waiting to be accommodated to the motorboats for CARAMOAN.

To reach other parts of CARAMOAN, there are available tricycles that will willingly bring you anywhere in the beautiful town at very affordable cost. From the port, the trip to the CARAMOAN town proper will only cost 20 pesos per person.

The PORT is part of Barangay GUIJALO in CARAMOAN. I just used to hear the name of the place from the stories of my mother. She said she stayed for a considerable time in CARAMOAN when she was still single. She had wonderful things to say about CARAMOAN. 


The town of CARAMOAN is about 580 kilometers south of MANILA. There are already 2 options to reach the place. One is by WATER using motorboats for about 2 to 3 hours travel from SABANG BEACH in SAN JOSE. We were lucky to reach the place today for only 2 hours. Second is by land travel for about 3 hours by BUS from SAN JOSE. The roads are already constructed for easy access to reach the place. Unlike before where there was only ONE OPTION to reach the place, just by MOTORBOATS.

The refreshing view while enjoying the tricycle ride on my way to the town proper of CARAMOAN. The cemented road made the trip faster paving to explore more about the secluded paradise in the province of CAMARINES SUR.

The alluring view of a river in CARAMOAN...reinforcing the excitement to finally have a glimpse of the beautiful ISLANDS of CARAMOAN. Although I already almost visited the whole country and some places outside the country, this is something special because I am a BICOLANO. I am from CAMARINES SUR. I am from PARTIDO. I am TRULY PROUD about CARAMOAN...

I also heard about CAPUTATAN from the stories of my mother. She said that we have plenty of relatives from this Barangay that there is no problem about accommodation and even where to eat. We will only be spending for fare during the JOURNEY to CARAMOAN. But for me, the BIGGEST concern is TIME. Because I do not own my time. I have to allocate my TIME for so many responsibilities. But I was lucky to have the TIME to visit this PARADISE for now.

According to some residence, CARAMOAN is slowly being developed and progressing due to the TOURISM INDUSTRY.

I finally reached my precious destination, Barangay SOLNOPAN. It was one of the Barangays within the town proper.

The first place that I visited is the CHURCH to thank the ALMIGHTY for another wonderful JOURNEY, this time to an amazing PARADISE.


While continuously exploring the town proper to maximize my limited time, I found many establishments already. An indication of a progressing place. This signage explains the origin of the name of the place "CARAMOAN".

Then from the town proper, I boarded a tricycle to bring me to the shoreline for ISLAND HOPPING. Along the way, I discovered that there are already several schools that cater to the most important treasure for the youth, EDUCATION.

Roads are already fully developed. A concrete PROOF of PROGRESS for CARAMOAN.

 Passing by another Barangay. CARAMOAN has a total of 49 Barangays.

The beautiful sights along the way. CARAMOAN is about 110 kilometers east of NAGA CITY (THE HEART OF BICOL) and about 95 kilometers east of PILI (THE CAPITAL TOWN OF CAMARINES SUR)

Finally, the glimpse of our destination, BARANGAY PANIMAN.

The long and winding road bringing full excitement of the unknown.

Finally, arriving the shoreline of Barangay PANIMAN, one of the gateways to beautiful islands of CARAMOAN...

One of the islands waiting to be explored. Lovely as viewed from a distance. I am sure that it will be more lovely at a closer look.

The view of the NUMEROUS ISLANDS added to the already high gear feeling of excitement. I was reminded of my numerous visits to the ISLANDS of EL NIDO in PALAWAN. I was never aware that there are BEAUTIFUL ISLANDS just near my HOMETOWN of SAN JOSE.



The boats waiting for tourists and guests. This is OFF-SEASON. But according to the residence, during summer and PEAK SEASON, these boats are nowhere in sight along the shorelines. 


One of the RESORT HOTELS near the shoreline. There are plenty of them along the road near the shoreline. There are RESTAURANTS nad "PASALUBONG" CENTER along the road.

However, I decided NOT to go on ISLAND HOPPING for now. Aside from the worsening condition of the weather due to typhoon, I have to delay the exploration of the beautiful islands not only to have an urgent reason for me to come back soon but to enjoy the sand and sea together with the sun, not with the storm and strong winds.
According to the boatman, the cost of the whole day ISLAND HOPPING is about 1,500 pesos per boat for maximum of 7 persons.

I just explored the surroundings and environs of the shoreline. After several minutes, I took a tricycle ride going to the CARAMOAN town proper.


When we reached the house of our gracious host, the sumptuous lunch was ready.

After the meal, I decided to travel back to SAN JOSE. At exactly 12 noon, I boarded a bus for the land travel going to SAN JOSE instead of the JOURNEY at the sea. Aside from the huge waves due to the typhoon, it was also an added JOURNEY to travel back by land.


The BUS was bound for NAGA CITY. According to the bus conductor, the travel from CARAMOAN to NAGA CITY is about 4 to 5 hours. But since, I would be alighting at the town of SAN JOSE, it will just be a 2 and half to 3 hours travel. The fare for air-conditioned bus going to SAN JOSE is 137 pesos for air-conditioned bus. From SAN JOSE to NAGA CITY is 75 pesos.

Along the way, the view of river, towering trees, lush greens will entertain you during the long and winding road trip.

At the other side of the road is the view of the sea and islands.

There are actually 3 bus liners that have daily trips from NAGA CITY to CARAMOAN and vice versa, but the most convenient way is the FLORENCIA TRANSPORT SERVICES because of its air-conditioned buses. Other bus lines with trips to and from CARAMOAN are RAYMOND and MRR.


Road constructions along the way for faster and safer road trip from and to CARAMOAN.

Road constructions that will not only bring tourists to the beautiful islands of CARAMOAN but also share the bounty sea harvests from the waters of the blessed town. PROGRESS is coming.

 BIG FISH at SMALL COST! Lucky residence and guests!


Wide variety of fishes and other products...

 I will surely come back to CARAMOAN and will explore its beautiful islands...
And significantly will be sharing them with you...

How to reach CARAMOAN by private vehicle from MANILA?

Drive towards the South Luzon Expressway (SLEX) , then exit at STO. TOMAS (BATANGAS). Upon reaching JUNCTION after STO. TOMAS PUBLIC MARKET (landmark is LIANAS SUPERMARKET), turn left towards SAN PABLO CITY, then drive towards BICOL until CARAMOAN PENINSULA. The travel time is about 10 to 12 hours.

How to reach CARAMOAN by public transport from MANILA?

OPTION 1. Board a RAYMOND bus DIRECTLY bound for CARAMOAN.

OPTION 2. Board a bus bound for NAGA CITY. Then from NAGA CITY, board another BUS bound for SABANG (PARTIDO) if you want to experience the trip by motorboat or from NAGA CITY, board a BUS bound directly for CARAMOAN for travel by land.



No comments:

Post a Comment