Monday, June 29, 2015

ANOTHER INSPIRATION FOR "PENSTRIKES" TO CONTINUOUSLY WRITE!

I was a MATH WIZARD when I was in high school. I was consistently among the students garnering perfect or almost perfect scores in mathematics examinations. I was always a school representative to the MATH OLYMPIAD and QUIZ BEE in different areas and various categories. I was awarded EXEMPLARY PERFORMANCE IN MATHEMATICS when I graduated in HIGH SCHOOL. In college, I took up ENGINEERING COURSE in a leading school in NAGA CITY and almost always exempted from taking the final examinations. It was also mathematics that help me qualified to become a PMA CADET, an AIM graduate, and successful in many other endeavors.

Being good in numbers was my inborn talent, but that is not my PASSION. It was NOT what my heart desires...
I wanted to become a WRITER!

I attempted several times in the essay writing contest during my elementary and high school days, but I failed to land even among the top 5 or even in the semi-finalists. But those disappointments and failures did not discourage me to continue to write something worthwhile to read, something that will make me as a WRITER even for a SINGLE MOMENT...I read a lot and write a lot...anything, anywhere, whatever...

When I entered PMA,  it was one stroke of luck that made me as member of the EDITORIAL BOARD of "THE CORPS" MAGAZINE, the official publication of the CCAFP (Corps of PMA Cadets). It was during our SECONDCLASS YEAR (3RD YEAR) when I became a roommate to the EDITOR-IN-CHIEF and other members of the editorial board. It was one night while they were conducting overtime workout inside our room to conceptualize the next issue of THE CORPS when they invited me to join the activity. Since there was no chance for me to sleep while the lights were on and they were expected to be noisy during the workout, I sympathized with them. I attempted to write a poem for the very first time. After several hours and while they were already on the final stage of their workout, I submitted my "MASTERPIECE" to the EDITOR-IN-CHIEF hoping for the very best to finally read a written article from my heart, soul and mind printed in THE CORPS. 

It was as if I won the jackpot in lottery when I went through the pages of newly published "THE CORPS" MAGAZINE reading my POEM entitled "I LOVE YOU" boldly printed near the centerfold. Although I celebrated in silence with overflowing emotions and heartfelt gratitude to the editorial board, I knew that it was the beginning of my career in WRITING, that my passion and effort finally paid off. To make the long story short, I contributed numerous poems, short stories and other written article to THE CORPS during our JUNIOR YEAR in PMA that led me to being chosen as "LITERARY EDITOR' during our SENIOR YEAR. I created the column "PENTRIKES" in the pages of THE CORPS where POEMS and other LITERARY MASTERPIECES were published.

After graduation, my first official assignment at the PHILIPPINE AIR FORCE was to help write and craft a COFFEE TABLE BOOK entitled "BAGWIS", a compilation of the CUSTOMS AND TRADITIONS of the PHILIPPINE AIR FORCE. But the project was not completed due to lack of resources and political will.

Then later I was on SPECIAL DUTY at the OFFICE of the SPECIAL STUDIES to help edit the AIR POWER MANUAL. It was a very memorable project for me since I got my first award (MILITARY MERIT MEDAL) from that assignment.

After graduating from the PHILIPPINE AIR FORCE FLYING SCHOOL, I was assigned at the 205th TACTICAL HELICOPTER WING for 5 years. For that span of time, 3 years were consumed at the Office of the Wing Adjutant first as the Assistant Wing Adjutant, then as Acting Wing Adjutant and finally as Wing Adjutant. During that tour of duty, I became the Editor-in-Chief of "THE HOVER NEWSLETTER", the official publication of the 205th THW. I changed the title of the publication to "THE HUEY JOURNAL" to highlight the aircraft possessed by the Wing. I also became a writer of various justifications that resulted to two officers of 205th THW capturing the TOPS award. I also crafted "THE ADJUTANT'S CALL" as official publication of the Office of the Wing Adjutant featuring benefits and privileges of the PAF personnel and distributed copies to all the units and offices of the Wing including the personnel deployed at the different TOGs nationwide. I was also the speechwriter of 3 Wing Commanders of the 205th THW.

When I was assigned at the Office of the ACofAS for Personnel, A-1 at the Headquarters Philippine Air Force for 4 years serving 3 Chiefs of Office (A-1), I crafted several policies related to personnel management and became member of the various technical working groups. I became the secretary of the team that revised the policy and examination on the selection of candidates for flying training at the PHILIPPINE AIR FORCE FLYING SCHOOL, the MILITARY PILOT APTITUDE TEST (MPAT).

When I was assigned at Air Education and Training Command, I became the secretary of the Training Needs Analysis (TNA) team and writer of the justification that made FERNANDO AIR BASE as PAF Model Base for several years. I also became a member of the PANEL during the oral defense for the Commandant's Paper for the Squadron Officer Course (SOC) and Basic Air Force Officer Course (BAFOC) and lecturer on COMPLETE STAFF WORK or WRITTEN COMMUNICATION.

As I continue my JOURNEY in the military service, I will continue to write whether they are mandated by my role, or designation or not to unfold stories and lessons that other may find helpful in their personal growth or professional enhancement.

This award is just a BONUS or an ICING on the cake. Being able to write is already a GREAT REWARD and a SATISFYING JOURNEY.

Thank you for another INSPIRATION for me to continuously STRIKE my PEN and KEYBOARD...

LESSON: Follow your PASSION, follow the dictate of your HEART and you will FIND OVERFLOWING HAPPINESS and UNLIMITED SUCCESS IN LIFE.

                                                             -pentrikes'96

No comments:

Post a Comment