Friday, June 19, 2015

Jose Rizal: Honoring the National Hero of the Philippines

I vividly remember my high school days. There was one project that I can still clearly recall. It was in the month of June when we were required to write about DR. JOSE RIZAL to commemorate his birthday. 

Since there was no internet yet during that time, I went to our school library and got some information about DR. JOSE RIZAL. But all of us went to the library to make a research for the project. It simply meant that our inputs would be similar or exactly the same. To make a little difference, utilizing my small savings I went to different bookstores in the nearby towns. I bought some postcards and other reading materials about Rizal. Then I comprehensively crafted written article about our national hero. It was one of the most memorable moments in my high school life when the teacher announced that I got the highest score for that project because of substantial content and the wide variety of reference materials that I used.

It was not only exerting effort to get high grades but also to honor in my simple way all the gargantuan contributions of our national hero.

Who is JOSE RIZAL?

He is an ophthalmologist by profession. He became a writer and a key member of the Filipino Propaganda Movement who advocated political reforms for the colony under Spain. He was executed by the Spaniards colonial government for the crime of rebellion after an anti-colonial revolution broke out which was inspired by his writings. He was the author of NOLI ME TANGERE ("TOUCH ME NOT") and EL FILIBUSTERISMO ("THE FILIBUSTERING" or "THE REIGN OF GREED) and a number of poems and essays. 



In present day, I honor our national hero by visiting various structures and places established to honor him such as LUNETA or RIZAL PARK, RIZAL SHRINE in CALAMBA CITY, FORT SANTIAGO and other RIZAL PARKS all throughout the country.

Please click the links below if you are interested to read my JOURNEY to the places built in honor of DR. JOSE RIZAL.

CALAMBA




LUNETA



FORT SANTIAGO




How about you? How do you honor or recognize the great contributions of our national hero, DR. JOSE RIZAL?

No comments:

Post a Comment