Saturday, February 21, 2015

The Challenging Journey at the Asian Institute of Management (AIM): A Reflection Paper


(written in December 2011)




Another chapter in my life is impending to end. Additional pages to my colorful existence. The year 2011 unfolded a different side of the story. Absolutely a remarkable one. It was somewhat similar to a difficult journey during my cadetship at the Philippine Military Academy. Life at PMA brought out the best in me and embedded in me good leadership qualities and personal attributes. On the other hand, life at AIM prepared me to lead people and to manage resources at the higher level and a broader sense. Both experiences made me a better person.
I considered the Management Research Report (MRR) as the highlight of that arduous but unforgettable MM journey. Data gathering put me into realization that there are still many things to do to finally build the essential bridge from education to employment as an integral chain towards successful nation building. Government agencies and private entities are not synergistically connected to put together individual commitment, passion and good intention.
Time management is another thing that I learned in this MRR journey. Planning and implementation must be done according to the timeline to come up with comprehensive paper. It is even advisable to do things in advance to give room for uncertainties and additional things to be done along the way.
MRR research and writing need full commitment and attention to come up with quality report. It needs a considerable amount of time and effort to bring out the optimal product.
Finding alliances and building network definitely play important roles in extracting more information and searching for the right offices and individuals to get maximum data.
The moral support of family, loved ones and friends are indispensable to hurdle the challenges along the way.




“WORK SMARTER THAN WORK HARDER”. This phrase from my MRR advisers has a lasting impact on me. The keyword here is focus. We cannot solve all the problems of the world that we have to prioritize and focus on more urgent and important things. We have limited resources that we have to devote them to the priorities that have more lasting impact and to the things that matter most.
MRR journey brought out disappointing realities. Hurting truths were discovered which are contrary to what you previously perceived. I came to realize that it is better to concentrate on the things that you can change while hoping that other things will be positively affected by what you are doing. I am referring to political and cultural practices in the different organizations in our country. There are offices, both in the government and private, occupied by individuals that allow things to happen to obtain their own personal gains and favor their own interests. This realization made me accept that outside the hallways of our barracks and the confines of military camps, there are more existing disappointing realities and cruelties of the world. They are more terrifying than the impending danger of threats from the armed enemies of the state.
This AIM journey brought numerous realizations in me. It made my perspective about many things brighter, bigger and wider. As I go up the ladder of my own organization, this wisdom of knowing more will definitely help me to make my organization more reliable, responsive and always doing the right things. I can make these things happen as my sphere of influence in the organization grows wider with the help of my AIM education and MRR experience.



This arduous journey, the MASTER IN MANAGEMENT program at the ASIAN INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT, will certainly blend synergistically with my training at PMA, experiences as a Military Pilot and Military Officer in the Philippines Air Force and as strong advocate of the ANTI-SMOKING campaign and my other equally important roles in this world. A total package that will make me a BETTER PERSON to optimally contribute for the betterment of every organization and society that I belong.



No comments:

Post a Comment